The Russian President signed the law “On amendments to the RF Code on administrative offences”, which include the administrative liability of Internet service providers for breach of duty to restrict or resume access to the websites blocked or unblocked by Roskomnadzor (Federal Supervision Agency for Information Technologies and Communications).

For this offense the law includes three categories of penalties:

3-5 thousand rubles for officials;

10-30 thousand roubles for individual entrepreneurs;

50-100 thousand rubles for legal entities.

A list of sites to which access should be restricted or resumed is updated twice a day at 9:00 and 21:00, Moscow time. The operator is obliged to restrict access to a banned website or resume access to an unblocked one within 24 hours since updating information.

Online gambling activity have been banned in Russia since 2006. Starting in 2014 Roskomnadzor puts illegal websites in the register of banned sites. In 2016, Roskomnadzor blocked 87 thousand sites, including 15.9 thousand gambling resources.

According to a research conducted by RBC, approximately 65% websites blocked by Roskomnadzor continue to work. As of December 2016 administrators of almost 30 thousand websites from the register of the sites banned by Roskomnadzor continue to pay for domain, hosting as well as to fill the site with content. These sites count mainly on users from other countries. As only 30% of traffic to Russian-speaking audience comes from Russia — the remaining 70% comes from other countries.


Leave a Reply